Just as the summer gardening activities are winding down, the school year brings on a new momentum and subtle encouragement to plan for the winter. What’s the after school garden club been up so far?
– Planting Garlic… first time to dig in the soil, added some compost and now just waiting for the green tips to emerge
– Making Salsa… All the ingredients were in the garden just needed the buy the chips. The kids now expect food at each class!
– Clearing a “past due” bed of sunflowers and digging the soil to turn in compost. Then broadcast sowing of fava beans (unfortunately found out they had weevils!) and vetch (for good luck).
– Digging potatoes with the plan to cook them on a rainy day.
Upcoming Plans for Garden Club and Open Garden Hours on Mondays 5-6pm.
– Harvesting dried seed from flowers around the garden to make our own flower seed mixes.
– Building up the worm compost bin to ensure mass through the winter (the split tomatoes should help with that)
– Building another compost pile with food from after school meal program and garden stuff (dying plants, weeds, etc)
– Eating our Brassica’s (Broccoli, Kale, etc)
– Covering our lettuce bed to make a small cloche to help them grow through the winter.
What are you planning for your winter garden?